Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Praise Him in the Storm

Praise in times of trial!

Ever feel like you are in a sinking boat, striving to survive in this thing we call life? I think many people feel this way. We walk through life and all the trenches it bears for us and we lose focus and find ourselves sinking. I have felt this way many times and even today feel this way. So what do we do about it?
 That is the question isn't it?

At this time last year my husband fell very ill for 2 1/2 months and man it was a tough time. I remember counting the days and the weeks when it first happened. I was so worried and paranoid. It is such a hard thing to watch the person you love and the person that is always strong for you be weak and not even be able to function normally. I mean literally my husband needed my help to get to the bathroom, and do simple things we take granted for everyday, he had a hard time talking and would slur his words. A lot of people thought maybe he had a stroke or other types of dangerous things. It was not exactly what I needed to hear at the moment. I mean it was so scary to watch this happen to my husband, there were times that I thought I might lose him. My mind took me to so many places, I just didn't feel that I could totally grasp God's hand at this time. I know that was not the truth, in fact, God was holding me and my little family in His hands as we went through this. Even as Christians it is sometimes too cloudy and difficult to see that God always is there. We get so tied up in our own mind and our thoughts seem to take over and there is no room for any other reasonable thoughts.  But, as the time draws out we start going to God more and feeling him more, and for me it's because I am at the end of my strength and realize that I have a God that will give me all the strength I need. But it is funny how we never learn the lesson. Each time we go through trials we do the same thing, we cloud our mind and hearts with our own thoughts and worries instead of relying and truly giving it to God. I have watched many of my friends do this and even I, myself do this.
Like right now, I am going through a struggle where it is affecting me in all aspects, emotionally, physically etc..I mean it literally takes over unannounced, and it is SO hard to truly just give it to God and I think to myself that I need to "fix" this, when all actuality I need to look to God for the fix. He is always there wanting to help, He is just waiting for us to ask.
I have had many conversations on many different occasions where the person I am talking to says, "I just don't feel God here right now", or "I don't know why God would let me go through this". Truth is I have said this too, many times. I remember reading recently in a devotion that sometimes God let's us go through things so to draw us near to him or to get our attention. I know I need that sometimes, because I fill my day up with multiple projects that I really don't have time to let God show me what he wants to work in me. So to get my attention he lets me feel things and go through these trials, and I always feel like I am drowning, but without the water. And all I need to do is keep my eyes and mind and heart focused on him.
 It's kind of scary to go through things like this, but in the end God is always there protecting us. But are we willing to let him? And are we willing to give praises during our time of trial?

No comments:

Post a Comment